VECO is a trading firm that specializes in trading short-term electricity in domestic power markets. VECO supports efficient, competitive electricity markets through sound investment and trading.
VECO's management and trading staff have decades of combined experience in electric power and related commodities markets. As a result, the firm has deep expertise in analysis, technology, modeling, risk management, and research. VECO has deployed an advanced suite of proprietary tools and systems to facilitate fast-paced, daily trading in dynamic, volatile markets where success relies on a combination of extensive data analysis, deep fundamental research, and an understanding of the markets.
VECO anticipates expansion into more markets and electricity products in the coming years. VECO believes that it has a competitive edge in the short-term power trading markets because it can nimbly adapt to changing circumstances and market conditions, leveraging its in-house analytic capabilities to capitalize on new opportunities.
VECO is a registered member or market participant with multiple electric markets, with plans to expand to other competitive regions as our firm grows. VECO's current markets include:
- PJM Interconnection, covering parts of 13 states as well as the District of Columbia
- Midcontinent Independent System Operator, which spans a region from the Upper Midwest to the Gulf Coast
- New York Independent System Operator (NYISO), which administers the wholesale electricity markets for New York State
- ISO New England Inc. (ISO-NE), which covers Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Rhode Island.
- Southwest Power Pool (SPP), which covers portions of 14 states in the Central United States.
VECO has also been approved by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to sell wholesale electricity at market-based rates in the United States.
VECO often hires Traders to join its entrepreneurial team in Northern Virginia, near Washington, DC.
The Trader position is a dynamic, multifaceted role that provides exposure to a wide array of critical energy, market, business, analytical, and general problem-solving skills. Because of VECO’s small size (a team of 10-12 trading staff), each Trader is given substantial responsibility and has the opportunity to have an impact on the growth and development of the business. The firm culture is highly collaborative, as we are structured to reward team performance and not internal competition.
Trader responsibilities include:
- Using extensive market data to perform fundamental analyses of overall market dynamics
- Participation in daily trade research, preparation, analysis, decision-making, and execution
- Coding and maintenance of efficient and intuitive analytic tools and trading platforms
- Expansion and improvement of the firm’s continual data acquisition infrastructure
VECO welcomes applications from any qualified candidate who has completed, or will complete in the current academic year, an undergraduate degree program.
Applicants should demonstrate:
- A strong analytical background shown through academic work in a quantitative field
- Experience with coding, data analysis packages, and relational databases (for example, PHP, R, and MySQL)
- Excellent work ethic, good communication skills, and a collaborative mindset
- Unwavering integrity
To apply, simply email us a resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcript and we'll be in touch.
VECO is an equal opportunity employer.